Starting in late August 2016, I began an internship at Choices, a Scholastic Classroom Magazine covering health and life skills for teens.
In January 2017, I continued at Choices in more of a freelance editorial assistant role.
While at Choices, I have had the opportunity to work on a small team and learn new skills. Here’s a peek at some things I’ve gotten to work on:
- This blog post for the magazine’s teacher-facing blog, Choices Ideabook. Our November-December 2016 article, “How Can I…Rock A Group Project?” was written to give students tips on tackling group projects. I designed the accompanying blog post, “How to Make a Group Project Contract,” to be an activity that teachers could potentially use to teach leadership and task delegation along with their group project.
- Social media posts three days a week on Twitter and Pinterest
- Updating the Ideabook by posting new blog posts on the CMS as they are written.
- Keeping up with high school and middle school news in order to write weekly news round-up posts, like this one, this one, and this one.
- Trained in building the Choices website, and tasked with uploading issue articles onto CMS.
- Research and pitching of ideas for magazine articles and blog posts
- Research for online videos and links, and writing of video and online link descriptions.